Tuesday, January 28, 2014

How pain makes you a better human- Lesson learnt from a child's behavior

Kareem, who is 1 year and 2 months older than Ebrahiem sees him everyday. Usually, when I drop Ebrahiem at Kareem's house, his first response is a big smile and Ebrahiem loves that and reciprocates that with a big giggle. As Kareem approaches Ebrahiem, he appears to be more loving but that love becomes more and more aggressive. Ebrahiem's natural response is to cry and hold me tightly. Kareem's behavior is also very natural as I have seen the same behavior in my nephew Abdullah. He also tries to love other younger kids but in a very aggressive way. Secondly, if his mother gives some toys to Ebrahiem, Kareem snatches them back and does not want Ebrahiem to play with his toys. 

Two days ago, Kareem hurt his foot and he could barely walk. It was very sad to see him like that. He was also not very active. Today, when I was dropping Ebrahiem there, he started crying because of separation anxiety. I told Ebrahiem that I am going to the university and have to work and told him how important that work was. When I put him down on the floor, Ebrahiem started to cry again with tears. To my surprise, Kareem dragged himself close to Ebrahiem, sat beside him and started giving him his toys with such a love, played the little toy for him and kept calling him: "hiem hiem". I never saw such a brotherly love for Ebrahiem from Kareem. 

We never like pain but perhaps, pains make us a better person today than we were yesterday.... 

This reminds me of the quote:


“The most beautiful people I've known are those who have known trials, have known struggles, have known loss, and have found their way out of the depths.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment